Coco peat or coir pith is an organic plant growing medium obtained from coconut husks. It is an inert growing medium, which is widely acknowledged as the best growing medium as well as soil conditioner for horticultural or agricultural use. Using BioActive Cocopeat has many advantages such as:
- It has a high capacity for absorbing water and keeps nutrients suspended till they are needed.
- It aerates the land for better root development.
- It resists fungal spores and bacterial growth since it is naturally antifungal.
- The pH level of BioActive Cocopeat is conducive to good plant growth.
- It amends soil texture to give the optimum consistency required for growing healthy plants.
All of these features contribute to the biggest advantage of using BioActive Cocopeat as an organic garden fertilizer, which is that it requires very little maintenance. Coco peat is a hydrophilic substance, which means that it rewets itself by absorbing water from the atmosphere and no chemicals need to be added. So, even if gardeners do not water the plants for a few days, the plants will not be harmed since the coco peat will retain water and pass it on to the plants.
Since it is antifungal, pesticides for common plant disease are not necessary. Addition of chemical pesticides is harmful when growing food crops and not adding any chemicals promotes the growth of vegetables free of any chemical residue.
Once BioActive Cocopeat has been added to the soil, it lasts for a very long time. On an average, it lasts between 4 to 5 years before the fibres start to breakdown and a new batch of coco peat needs to be mixed with the soil. As a result, the garden or lawn is easy to maintain.
Considering how low maintenance coco peat is, it is no wonder that it makes the best organic garden fertilizer and is preferred by gardeners worldwide.